Last week in Part I of ‘Making Sense of the World Around Us’ I introduced you to representational systems. Could you envisage yourself in more than one of these rep. systems? Did one ring a bell for you? Did another feel just right? Or was one of them just more logical for you?
Many of my readers seem fascinated with finding out their own primary / preferred rep. system. So if you’d like to find out more about your own preferences here’s my version of the test below.
Read each of the following statements and add a number for each phrase in the space at the front from 1 to 4 whereby:
- 4 = the phrase that is the best description of you.
- 3 = the next best description of you.
- 2 = the next best description of you.
- 1 = the statement least descriptive of you.
Make sure every phrase gets a different number. Move through the questions swiftly. If you have trouble deciding between two phrases then take the first thought that comes to mind.
It should look like this for each questions when you’re done…
- A – _4_ I can …XXX.
- B – _2_ I have …XXX.
- C – _1_ I have …XXX.
- D – _3_ I’ve XXX
And off we go:
1. When given a project at work, it is easier to carry out if:
- A – ___ I can envision what is required.
- B – ___ I have a grasp for what is required.
- C – ___ I have an understanding of what is required.
- D – ___ I’ve tuned in to what is required.
2. When I feel overwhelmed, I find it helps if:
- A – ___ I can imagine the big picture and make a mental image.
- B – ___ I can ask for help and talk to someone.
- C – ___ I can get in touch with what is happening.
- D – ___ I can make sense of things in my head.
3. When taking a beach holiday, the first thing that makes me glad to be there is:
- A – ___ The feel of the cool sand, warm sun or the fresh breeze on my face
- B – ___ The roar of the waves, the whistling wind or the sound of the birds in the distance.
- C – ___ This is the type of holiday that makes sense and/or the cost is reasonable.
- D – ___ The scenery, the bright sun and the blue water.
4. I find it easier to follow a presentation if:
- A – ___ I feel in touch with the presenter and the material is within my grasp.
- B – ___ The slides are illuminating and I can visualise the concepts.
- C – ___ The presentation is based on facts and figures and is logically presented.
- D – ___ The presenter speaks clearly and uses his voice to emphasize his message.
5. When buying a car I make my decision based on:
- A – ___ The price, economy (miles per litre), safety features etc.
- B – ___ How comfortable the seats are or the feel when I test drive it.
- C – ___ The colour, styling and I can imagine how I would look in it.
- D – ___ The roar of the engine or how it purrs like a kitten.
6. I communicate my thoughts through:
- A – ___ My tone of voice and how fast I speak.
- B – ___ My words, data and logic.
- C – ___ My appearance and facial expression.
- D – ___ My feelings and getting fired up.
7. When I am anxious, the first thing that happens is:
- A – ___ Things begin to sound different and I tune out.
- B – ___ Things begin to feel different, I can’t get a handle on what to do.
- C – ___ Things begin to look different and the picture gets fuzzy.
- D – ___ Things begin to not make sense or they’re not logical.
8. During a discussion, I am most influenced by:
- A – ___ The other person’s logic.
- B – ___ The other persons tone of voice and manner of speaking.
- C – ___ The energy I feel from the other person.
- D – ___ Seeing the other persons body language or being able to picture their point of view.
9. I assess how well I am doing at work based on:
- A – ___ My understanding of what needs to be done.
- B – ___ How I see myself making progress.
- C – ___ The tone of voice used by my co-workers and my manager.
- D – ___ How satisfied I feel.
10. One of my strengths is my ability to:
- A – ___ Have a bird’s eye view of what needs to be done.
- B – ___ Make sense of and process new facts and data.
- C – ___ Hear what sounds right, loud and clear.
- D – ___ Get in touch with my feelings.
11. It’s easiest for me to:
- A – ___ Select the volume and base for easy listening on a stereo system.
- B – ___ Pick out the intellectually relevant point in a conversation.
- C – ___ Select comfortable furniture.
- D – ___ Select attractive colour combinations and to spot pictures that aren’t straight
12. If I agree with someone, I am likely to say:
- A – ___ That feels right – it’s easy to catch on.
- B – ___ That looks right – it’s crystal clear.
- C – ___ That sounds right – it’s clear as a bell.
- D – ___ That makes sense – it’s logical.
13. I enjoy:
- A – ___ Choosing music to listen to in the car.
- B – ___ Making a logical and compelling argument.
- C – ___ Buying clothes that are comfortable.
- D – ___ Looking my best.
So print out this post and put in your scores. How you calculate your result will be here in the next post…..I love a cliff hanger!
(Picture credit – thanks to Micrsoft clipart!)
© Jacqui Gatehouse and NLP THIRTEEN, 2011. Unauthorized use and/or duplication of this material without express and written permission from this blog’s author and/or owner is strictly prohibited. Excerpts and links may be used, provided that full and clear credit is given to Jacqui Gatehouse and NLP THIRTEEN with appropriate and specific direction to the original content.
- Making Sense of the World Around Us (gatehouse13.wordpress.com)
- It’s Not What You Say But How You Say It! (communicatepaddy.wordpress.com)